What is a Master Scuba Diver Trainer? - R5500 Buy
PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainers are PADI Instructors who have at least five PADI
Specialty Instructor ratings, which qualifies them to conduct all training requirements
for the Master Scuba Diver rating.
Note: Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and AWARE - Coral Reef Conservation
Specialty Instructor ratings do not apply.
What are the pre-requisites?
To apply for the Master Scuba Diver Trainer rating, an instructor must:
- Be a renewed PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.
- Be certified as a PADI Specialty Instructor for five or more specialty ratings.
- Have issued at least 25 PADI certifications. No more than five of the 25 certifications may be from nondiving courses
How Do I become an MSDT?
After you have successfully completed the IE you have an opportunity to achieve the rating of Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) through our MSDT Prep program.
You can choose to become an instructor in any FIVE of the following Instructor Specialties and the Enriched Air Nitrox Instructor Specialty which is included at no extra cost (only if already Nitrox qualified):
- Altitude Diver
- AWARE –Coral Reef Conservation
- AWARE – Fish Identification
- Deep *
- Digital Underwater Photographer*
- Diver Propulsion Vehicle*
- Drift *
- Dry Suit
- Enriched Air ( Nitrox)
- Peak Performance Buoyancy
- Project AWARE
- Search and Recovery*
- Semi closed – Rebreather – Ray and Dolphin*
- Underwater Naturalist
- Underwater Navigator
- Underwater Videographer
Specialties noted with *may have additional costs or requirements. Please also note that some course can only be conducted at certain venues – for a list of these have a look at the specialties page.
What will I do?
You will be required to present a teaching presentation from each relevant course; you will also be required to complete all performance requirements from the dives of each specialty.
What will I need?
- PADI Specialty Instructor guide
- The necessary equipment to fulfill performance objectives of every dive –e.g. a Drysuit for Drysuit specialty, Lights for night diving and cameras for DUP.
How long will it take?
The course can normally be completed in 2-3 days; no more than 3 training dives per day will be done. Please note that some courses require more dives and have certain pre-requisites.
How do I register for MSDT?
The Course Director will sign off the Specialty Instructor application with 5 specialties and submit to PADI. Upon confirmation of teaching status from PADI you may start teaching these specialties.
Once you have certified 25 divers (any level) the instructor submits to PADI a completed Master Scuba Diver Trainer application with a photo and application fee. Upon approval of the application, PADI will issue a Master Scuba Diver Trainer certification card
The Master Scuba Diver Trainer rating is renewed when PADI Instructors renew
their membership annually.